irene hope

"Mom Amber Bublé....Got a Minute?"

15,281 posts in this topic

Hello my cyberfriends. I wish that there were ways to convey warm hugs across the internet. Irene, your story of speaking with a woman who made homemade "pumpkin" pies from potatoes was incredible. It is fascinating how 'not having' develops the strongest memories and bonds. When people do amazing things for each other with what they have available it means so much more.

There is a similar story that my mother has told me about my grandmother. My mother was the 7th child of 12 and her family was also poor. They had outdoor plumbing until she was 9 (about 1961). But my grandmother kept everything very clean and made large one course meals. Growing up, the family could not afford new clothes or fabric to make clothes for school. Each year they would get hand me downs from brothers & sisters or clothes from the second hand store. My grandmother would take the clothes home and wash them again and again to remove any stains, starch them, iron them and put them in the freezer so that they would be stiff and look and feel like new clothes for her children to go to school in. My mother said that it took several days to do this for the precious few garments that each of the 12 children had.

The potato pie recipe is unique and reminds that family of home and the traditions of their mother.

I understand that your story was an metaphor for all those singers trying to sing this music. I have heard some actors and rock singers lately trying to sing this music. "A Song For You" seems to be their song of choice. And without disresepct for their natural abilities on film and in the rock/pop arena, but I couldn't listen to it (I've been MB spoiled). The melody didn't flow, they couldn't hold the notes and they just lacked passion for what they were singing - they taking a crack at it because it is 'in' right now. What they fail to realize is that this music is 'in' because of who is singing it. I have always loved the standards and what I called 'sweet music' when I was four; but only Michael has what it takes to 'own' (or borrow with grace) the music of Elvis, Elton John, Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles.

I hope that all of you are taking care of yourselves and staying warm. I love reading all of your posts, you all are so gifted with words and touch me with each turn of every phrase. Hugs to you all and I hope that you have a Thanksgiving full of grace and gratitude.

~Shelley

SHELLEY, YOUR MOM'S CLOTHES MAY NOT HAVE BEEN NEW, BUT, THOSE CLOTHES WERE FILLED WITH LOVE, LOVE THAT WASN'T THERE WHEN THE CLOTHES WERE FIRST BOUGHT AT THE STORE. ONE OF MY FAVORITE MICHAEL SONGS IS ' MY GROWN UP CHRISTMAS LIST' THE OTHER DAY I HEARD IT SUNG BY A GIRL, DIDN'T GET HER NAME, I'M SURE SHE DID HER BEST BUT, IT JUST DIDN'T DO IT FOR ME MICHAEL HAS PLEASUERED MY EARS SO BEAUTIFULLY THAT NO ONE CAN COME NEAR TO HIM. HE JUST DOESN'T SING A WORD, HE CARVES HIS WORDS AND NEVER CHEATS A NOTE, HIS DICTION IS IMPECKABLE. HE NURTURES EACH AND EVERY SONG AS ONLY MY MASTER OF SONG' CAN DO. MAKE IT A GREAT DAY AND BE SURE TO GIVE A SMILE AWAY. HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU.

Shelley.......

I'm so glad you responded as it brought

a flood of memories.....I personally don't ever

remember wearing anything store bought till I was in High School.....I was born in the depression 1929.....And to say that we were poor

I guess would be the understatement of the day........

But I don't remember thinking then that

we were poor.....It was a very natural thing ...

.....We got big boxes of clothes from relatives

......And I remember my Mom unpicking them all

and laying them flat on the floor and then she

would cut patterns out of paper and make us kids

clothes that would fit.....

I remember one time my Mom made me a dress out of a brown curtain....And I thought I

was the Queen of Sheba......I was so proud of that dress....You could see through the curtain and so my Mom made me a green slip.....I saved it for Sunday best.....

What you grow up with.....Seems natural at the time....There are a million memories....

But I remember my parents paid 10 dollars a month on the house we were living in....

Maybe that's why we would leave our doors open at night.....We didn't have anything

anyone wanted to steal.....Most everyone was as

poor as we were.....

It was a good time though in many ways...

We had to use our minds....We had to draw our

own paper dolls and cut them out and draw our own clothes...And sometimes we had a few crayons

and sometimes we didn't.....We played "Run Sheepy Run"....and "Kick the can".....It was a

whole different world.....

But we didn't live in fear....We lived

more on hope....That tomorrow would be a better

day.....Anything we ever did for recreation....

Had to be free....The only thing I can remember

doing that cost money was once a week we would

go down to this place and get .12 cent malts...

But we couldn't have a whole one.....Only a half

....We had free movies on Sat. afternoon at our

church.....

But everyone loved their country....We honored the flag....We said prayers in school...

.....When we went to Primary...We gave a penney

...if we had it...And sang..."Five pennies make

a nickel....Two nickels make a dime....Ten dimes

will make a dollar...and will make it shine....

It's for the cripple children....Who cannot walk

or run....Who have to lie in bed all day and can

not join our fun....So let us be unselfish and

give our pennies here...To help the cripple children be better year by year".......

Boy that's been a long time since I've repeated that....About seventy years.....If we

had a penney we gave it....And it went to help

the crippled little kids....

Well so much for then.....This is now and

we dare not let our children out of our sight...

Anyway Hon....Thanks for bringing so many

things back to memory.....This is a new day a new dawn and a new day for me....And I'm feelin

good......Take care.....Yo!

Hi Granny Irene,

Both my parents grew up during the depression also and your memories sound much like stories they have told me. My mother inparticular said that she usually wore hand me downs from her brothers, underpants as well or clothes that were made by her mother out of rags from the 'rag man'. Her one pair of shoes were hand me downs as well. She said they would wear them until the soles were worn through. They would line the inside with newspaper to get more wear out of them. When she was in grade school she said she was envious of all the girls that had knee socks. She only wore what was handed down from her brothers. One day she took her sweater (her only sweater) and cut the arms off and wore them on her legs to try and pass them off as knee socks. She said her teacher made her stand up on her desk in front of the class to teacher her a lesson. I can't imagine the humiliation. The one 'toy' she had was a baby doll. She said it was in very poor shape but loved it to death. Finally it got in such pitiful condition that my mother decided to put it to rest. She actually buried it; however, she said she missed her only toy so much about a week later she dug it up. Even though they were very hard times she did say that she and her brothers had fun pretending to be the Lone Ranger and Tonto, playing in the nearby river and just using their imagination to entertain themselves because that is all they had. Most kids today don't realize how good they really have it. I think you and my Mother would get a long well and have a lot in common.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving.

Anne.....

I loved your post.....This was simply a

hilarious time to be alive......It was sad in a

way but now talking about it..It was a hoot....

....My husband was one of ten children and when they all hurried to get ready for school....

they all grabbed coats and ran......On this day it was snowing and they were late....and when my husband got to the coat rack....There was no coat.....

His coat was handed down to little brother

....and above him was a sister....His Mom then

acknowledged he had no coat.....And he would have to wear the sisters coat....

My husband with a long face left home with

his sisters coat with a fur collar.....And he

soon met up with this smart-alec kid that wouldn't leave it alone......So to make a long

story short.....This kid walks into school all

bloody missing two front teeth.....and my husband goes to his class with bloody knuckles

....and it isn't two minutes and over the loud

speaker my husband is summoned down to the principals office.......

After explaining the whole thing there was

a tinge of sentiment on both sides.....But the kid still had two missing teeth and my husband

had on his sisters coat.....

If I swore I would swear that real life

is hilarious....And nothing they could make up is funnier than things that really happen...My

husband had 7 brothers.....And when any little

mother would come knocking on the door of the

family home and crying about their boys getting

the worst of it with her boys.....She would say

...."Honey....I have some advice for you....You

either teach your kid how to fight or how to run"........She was a cute lady...And I just

adored her.......She was in their corner all the

way.....If there was any reprimanding to be done

...she would do it...Her way......

I have to tell you one more story.......

It's hilarious....One day....She was ironing...

And she had already ironed I don't know how many

shirts....And big brother is getting ready for

his date and getting dressed fit to kill and needs the white shirt his Mom is just finishing

.....She hands it to him....Mind you she has been ironing all day.....And Big handsome Dude Brother takes the shirt and looks it over and

says....What about this right here....And you

missed a spot right here....And she says.."Oh

maybe I can fix that."...She drops it on the floor and wipes her feet on it....And says..

"Here Hon....Is that better?"

You would just have to know my mother-in-law......Nothing would get past her.....She was

always one up on you.......I thought I would never stop crying when she passed away......I

absolutely craved her......Well....We could tell

stories all day....About what happened yesterday

.....Thanks again for adding.....

Love ya!.....Yo!

Hahahaha!!!

OMG!!! She was a hoot!!! I would of absolutely loved her!!! That's my type of lady... Very confident, stands up for herself and tons of humour!!! How I wished to have met her!!!

Grand-maman Jewel... You are very lucky to have known and loved her. Wowowow!!! It is soooo nice to see a daughter-in-law getting along sooooo well with her mother-in-law... I've heard soooo many horror stories...

I would consider and LOVE my mother-in-law as my best friend since she's the one that raised and knows her son... Her wisdom and knowledge would be precious to me... The fact that I would love her son means that she's done a terrific job at raising and loving him...

Sending you hugs and kisses ooooozing with love...

Blossom

Irene,

I love the story about your husband wearing his sisters coat! I'm sure my mom can totally relate to his experience. She probably bloodied a nose or two in her day. (her three brothers were total hellions) At least they can look back and laugh!

Johanne,

You are so right about the mother in law. I may not agree with everything mine says or have much in common with her but I always remind myself that she is a huge part in how my husband is the way he is and I love her for that!

Here's a beautiful thought about BEAUTY AND LOVE......

MOTHER NO ONE CAN TAKE HER PLACE

"Can I see my baby?" the happy new mother asked. When the bundle was, nestled in her arms and she moved the fold of cloth to look upon his tiny face, she gasped. The doctor turned quickly and looked out the tall hospital window. The baby had been born without ears. Time proved that the baby's hearing was perfect. It was only his appearance that was marred. When he rushed home from school one day and flung himself into his mother's arms, she sighed, knowing that his life was to be a succession of heartbreaks. He blurted out the tragedy. "A boy, a big boy...called me a freak."

He grew up, handsome for his misfortune. A favorite with his fellow students, he might have been class president, but for that. He developed a gift, a talent for literature and music. "You might mingle with other young people," his mother reproved him, but she felt a tenderness in her heart. The boy's father had a session with the family physician. Could nothing be done? "I believe I could graft on a pair of outer ears, if they could be procured" the doctor decided. Whereupon the search began for a person who would make such a sacrifice for a young man. Two years went by. Then, "You are going to the hospital, son. Mother and I have someone who will donate the ears you need. But it's a secret" said the father. The operation was a brilliant success, and a new person emerged. His talents blossomed into genius, and school and college became a

series of triumphs. Later he married and entered the diplomatic service. "But I must know! he urged his father. "Who gave so much for me? I could never do enough for him." "I do not believe you could," said the father, "but the agreement was that you are not to know...not yet." The years kept their profound secret, but the day did come...one of the darkest days that ever passed through a son. He stood with his father over his mother's casket. Slowly, tenderly, the father stretched forth

a hand and raised the thick, reddish-brown hair to reveal...that the mother had no outer ears. "Mother said she was glad she never let her hair be cut," he whispered gently, "and nobody ever thought mother less beautiful, did they?"

Real beauty lies not in the physical appearance, but in the heart. Real treasure lies not in what can be seen, but what cannot be seen. Real love lies not in what is done and known, but in what is done but

not known.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

Hope you enjoyed it!!!

Blossom...

Blossom.......

That's truly beautiful.....And so typical of a mothers love......There just isn't a whole lot to be said.....Thank you for that...

And I truly mean that with all my heart..

Love ya.....Granma and lovin it!

Here's another one about...

LESSONS OF LIFE...

A little long but really good

We all know what it's like to get that phone call in the middle of the night.

This night's call was no different.

Jerking up to the ringing summons, I focused on the red illuminated numbers of my clock.

Midnight.

Panicky thoughts filled my sleep-dazed mind as I grabbed the receiver.

"Hello?"

My heart pounded, I gripped the phone tighter and eyed my husband, who was now turning to face my side of the bed.

"Mama?" I could hardly hear the whisper over the static.

But my thoughts immediately went to my daughter.

When the desperate sound of a young crying voice became clearer on the line, I grabbed for my husband and squeezed his wrist.

"Mama, I know it's late. But don't...don't say anything, until I finish. And before you ask, yes, I've been drinking. I nearly ran off the road a few miles back, and..."

I drew in a sharp shallow breath, released my husband and pressed my hand against my forehead.

Sleep still fogged my mind, and I attempted to fight back the panic.

Something wasn't right.

"And I got so scared. All I could think about was how it would hurt you if a policeman came to your door and said I'd been killed. I want...to come home. I know running away was wrong. I know you've been worried sick. I should have called you days ago, but I was afraid...afraid..." Sobs of deep-felt emotion flowed from the receiver and poured into my heart.

Immediately I pictured my daughter's face in my mind and my fogged senses seemed to clear. "I think--"

"No! Please let me finish! Please!" She pleaded, not so much in anger, but in desperation.

I paused and tried to think what to say.

Before I could go on, she continued, "I'm pregnant, Mama. I know I shouldn't be drinking now...especially now, but I'm scared, Mama. So scared!"

The voice broke again and I bit into my lip, feeling my own eyes fill with moisture.

I looked at my husband who sat silently mouthing, "Who is it?"

I shook my head and when I didn't answer, he jumped up and left the room, returning seconds later with the portable phone held to his ear.

She must have heard the click in the line because she continued, "Are you still there? Please don't hang up on me! I need you. I feel so alone."

I clutched the phone and stared at my husband, seeking guidance. "I'm here, I wouldn't hang up," I said.

"I know I should have told you, Mama. But when we talk, you just keep telling me what I should do. You read all those pamphlets on how to talk about sex and all, but all you do is talk. You don't listen to me. You never let me tell you how I feel. It is as if my feelings aren't important. Because you're my mother you think you have all the answers. But sometimes I don't need answers. I just want someone to listen."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and stared at the how-to-talk-to-your-kids pamphlets scattered on my nightstand. "I'm listening," I whispered.

"You know, back there on the road, after I got the car under control, I started thinking about the baby and taking care of it. Then I saw this phone booth, and it was as if I could hear you preaching about people shouldn't drink and drive. So I called a taxi. I want to come home."

"That's good, Honey," I said, relief filling my chest.

My husband came closer, sat down beside me and laced his fingers through mine.

I knew from his touch that he thought I was doing and saying the right thing.

"But you know, I think I can drive now."

"No!" I snapped.

My muscles stiffened, and I tightened the clasp on my husband's hand. "Please, wait for the taxi.

Don't hang up on me until the taxi gets there."

"I just want to come home, Mama."

"I know. But do this for your mama. Wait for the taxi, please."

I listened to the silence in fear.

When I didn't hear her answer, I bit into my lip and closed my eyes.

Somehow I had to stop her from driving.

"There's the taxi, now."

Only when I heard someone in the background asking about a Yellow Cab did I feel my tension easing.

"I'm coming home, Mama." There was a click, and the phone went silent.

Moving from the bed, tears forming in my eyes, I walked out into the hall and went to stand in my sixteen-year-old daughter's room.

The dark silence hung thick.

My husband came from behind, wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on the top of my head.

I wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"We have to learn to listen," I said.

He pulled me around to face him. "We'll learn. You'll see."

Then he took me into his arms, and I buried my head in his shoulder.

I let him hold me for several moments, then I pulled back and stared back at the bed.

He studied me for a second, then asked, "Do you think she'll ever know she dialed the wrong number?"

I looked at our sleeping daughter, then back at him. "Maybe it wasn't such a wrong number."

"Mom, Dad, what are you doing?"

The muffled young voice came from under the covers.

I walked over to my daughter, who now sat up staring into the darkness.

"We're practicing," I answered.

"Practicing what?" she mumbled and laid back on the mattress, her eyes already closed in slumber.

"Listening," I whispered, and brushed a hand over her cheek

Happy Thanksgiving everyone......

To all my prescious friends I have made

here....I wish you all love and everything good

that life good possibly give you.....Most of all

may we in our hearts be thankful for life and help us each to be content with our allotment.....

Love always Granma and lovin it!

Thank you Irene! You have such a gentle, giving heart. Your wishes are sincere and welcomed this time of year. May you recieve twice in your lifetime what you have given to others... in inspiration, in love, in comfort and in song icon_wink.gif

And Happy Thankgiving to you all! May your homes be full of loved ones, laughter, and the warm scents of pumpkin and cider!

Shelley

Shelley.......

Thank you Hon.....You are one sweet dear person.....I think we will all enjoy what

we each bring....That is the irony of life....We

all at some time in our life have the fantasy of

life being good to us or somone else making it

wonderful for us.....When in truth the wonder of

it all is somewhere within us....

Everyone of us were born with the spirit

of heaven within us.....But it needs tending and

nurturing....Love is the glow that lights up every little empty heart in the world...

A little heart that feels love belongs to

one who has chosen to let that light take its

rightful place.......

Granma and lovin it!

Hi everybody...

BTW... Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!! I know I have a lot to be thankful for but...

I'm feeling sad tonight...

Had no luck at getting tix to MB's Niagara Falls concerts... My sister missed work so that she could be free at 10:00 am when the sale would start... She called for a whole hour and the lines where always busy... Even went on line but it was all sold out (in 50 minutes). She tried but to no avail...

Goodnight...

Johanne

Awww Ditto! icon_frown.gif

Try Vegas! icon_smile.gif Maybe you'll have better luck.

Hi Yesinia...

I'm doing much better now!!! I guess I felt a little down... But not anymore...

I realize that I don't really need to see Michael in person to feel his voice or to feel him... Of course it would of been a bonus to be able to see him in person... But it's not the end of the world...

There may be another time, if it's meant to be it will happen...

Have yourself a great weekend...

Johanne

HI AMBER,WE STARTED A NEW TRADITION ON THANKSGIVING THANKS TO LORA {SWEETS} FOR POSTING ON, 'WHAT MADE YOU SMILE' HER SON JAKE MADE A 'THANKFUL TREE' AT SCHOOL. I USED JAKE'S IDEA FOR THANKSIVING DINNER. I HAD A SIGN THAT SAID, WRITE ONE WORD WHY YOU ARE THANKFUL, NO NEED TO SIGN NAME. ON A DISH I HAD STRIPS OF PAPER AND PEN,NEXT TO A SMALL TREE FOR THEM TO PUT THERE FOLDED PAPER ON. AS WE WERE GATHERED AT THE TABLE I EXPLAINED HOW I GOT THE IDEA FROM SWEETS SON JAKE. MY HUSBAND THEN READ ALOUD EACH PAPER. THANKS SWEET'S AND JAKE . AMBER IF IT WASN'T FOR MICHAEL I'D NEVER HAVE KNOWN SWEETS AND WE WOULDN'T BE STARTING A NEW TRADITION AT THANKSGIVING. LOVE, LOVE LOVE, MICHAEL'S DVD. HOW FABULOUS TO HAVE MICHAEL GIVE US A CONCERT IN OUR OWN FAMILY ROOM. SPECIAL HUGS TO LEWIS, HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU.

quote:
HI AMBER,WE STARTED A NEW TRADITION ON THANKSGIVING THANKS TO LORA {SWEETS} FOR POSTING ON, 'WHAT MADE YOU SMILE' HER SON JAKE MADE A 'THANKFUL TREE' AT SCHOOL. I USED JAKE'S IDEA FOR THANKSIVING DINNER. I HAD A SIGN THAT SAID, WRITE ONE WORD WHY YOU ARE THANKFUL, NO NEED TO SIGN NAME. ON A DISH I HAD STRIPS OF PAPER AND PEN,NEXT TO A SMALL TREE FOR THEM TO PUT THERE FOLDED PAPER ON. AS WE WERE GATHERED AT THE TABLE I EXPLAINED HOW I GOT THE IDEA FROM SWEETS SON JAKE. MY HUSBAND THEN READ ALOUD EACH PAPER. THANKS SWEET'S AND JAKE . AMBER IF IT WASN'T FOR MICHAEL I'D NEVER HAVE KNOWN SWEETS AND WE WOULDN'T BE STARTING A NEW TRADITION AT THANKSGIVING. LOVE, LOVE LOVE, MICHAEL'S DVD. HOW FABULOUS TO HAVE MICHAEL GIVE US A CONCERT IN OUR OWN FAMILY ROOM. SPECIAL HUGS TO LEWIS, HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU.

OMG! Granny!!!! I am SOOOO touched by this!!!! I need to wipe away the tears! This just absolutely melted my heart. You have a heart of gold.

Lots of love and hugs,

Lora icon_smile.gif

Loretta should be nominated as a national treasure! She even gave me a huge hug at the L.A show, even though I was sweaty from running to get there!

Add to that , she has a smile even Mona Lisa would envy icon_smile.gif

WEEZA, YOU MADE ME BLUSH.THANK YOU. I HOPE THINGS ARE WORKING OUT FOR YOU AND THEY CATCH WHO CLONED YOUR CARD. I HAVE THE PIN YOU MADE IN MY TRESURE CHEST. YOU WERE NOT SWEATY, YOU WERE LOVELY.YOUR GORGEOUS HAIR I WAS ENVY OF. HELLO TO YOUR HANDSOME MAN. A GREAT COUPLE . HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU.

AMBER, OOH MY GOSH, MY HUSBAND MADE RESERVATIONS TO SEE MICHAEL IN VEGAS ON THE 12 AND, CAN YOU BELIVE, ALSO ON THE 14 OF FEB. I'M SOOO VERY HAPPY. IMAGINE SEEING MICHAEL LIVE 2 TIMES IN ONE WEEK, AAAAH, SWOON, I FEEL I COULD HIGH JUMP AT THE OLYMPICS AND WIN, THATS WHAT YOUR AND LEWIS'S SON MAKES ME FEEL.I JUST CAN'T BELIVE IT, 2 TIMES IN ONE WEEK. AAAAAAAH. SPECIAL HUGS TO LEWIS. HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU IN BETWEEN SWOONS.

Loretta, I am so glad to hear that you and your 'honey' will be there! I have a ticket to the show on the 14th... I haven't scrounged one up for any of the other shows as of yet. I am so excited for you!!

Shelley

Johanne,

Hsve you considered the Atlantic City shows? Or the Vegas shows? I know that there are still some great seats for Vegas (7th row about five minutes ago!) Michael will always hold my fragile heart in his palms whenever he sings, but to see him live is exceptional, Johanne. Let me know what can be done to help you achieve this!

Shelley

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor