Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FoxyOperaSinger

Evacuating New Orleans with Michael

108 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have been reading posts from so many wonderful people who have been touched by Michael in so many different ways, that I wanted to share my experience with 'getting to know' this fantastic person.

I was in the 2nd row at Michael's New Orleans concert in July 29, 2005, and was blown away by his voice, personality, and humbleness. I can speak for everyone in the audience that night, that New Orleans was completely floored by this concert, and showed their appreciation with a verve I have never experienced at any other concert. Everyone knows that New Orleans takes its music very seriously, and appreciates jazz and standards to the higest degree. I looked around in the audience several times to see the most eclectic audience one could imagine; men were dancing and laughing at Michael's jokes, women were screaming and dancing, the older people were smiling and tapping their feet, and teens were snapping their cameras. Michael's performance that night solidified him as a favorite to the people of New Orleans. I sat there in awe of this talent, and knew that this was the beginning of a life long love affair with his voice.

Everyone knows that on August 29th, New Orleans was paid a visit by Katrina. Oddly enough, one month from the concert. My story is that as 16 members of my family were preparing to evacuate our homes, and no one knew when and if we were going to come back, I could not help but listen to Michael's music to keep me going. I'm 23, so when your mother turns to you as you're packing only the essentials of your life and says, "I don't know what to do", you have to be strong. From that point on, I was the one pulling everyone together. I was scared that we were going to lose everything, and not everyone from my family was leaving (like we begged them to). As we packed the car with suitcases, photos, food, pillows, and people at 3AM August 28, I felt the gravety of the situation. This was it. We listened to the local AM radio station during the drive, and once we lost that station, I took out my CD case and put in 'It's Time'. That title has so much meaning to me now. It was a wonderful diversion to hear Michael's voice for my family and myself. I couldn't help but think back to the concert, and how perfect that night was for so many New Orleanians, not to mention my mom and myself.

While I was driving the car with my 86 year old Grandma and my Mom as passengers in my car, "Home" started playing. Now, if you can imagine this, the impact that song had at that moment was immense. I started crying when I thought of all the cars driving out of this beloved city with only what they could fit in their cars, not knowing what was going to happen, and where they would end up. I thought of my own family and when we would get to return 'home' and what we would find, if anything.

We evacuated to Memphis and had 16 people in 5 rooms. (A big thank you to the people of Memphis for being so wonderful!) Throughout the ordeal, I played the cd's over and over again. As you can imagine, life was pretty tough when you're displaced from everything you knew. I took care of my grandmother, while my mom made a 3 hour trek back and forth to her job everyday. My grandmother took the whole situation terribly hard, which was so difficult for me. I kept listening to Michael's music, and stayed strong for myself. Michael's voice kept me strong for my family, because I thought that one day I could touch people's lives in the same way. I myself am a trained singer, and have my degree in voice. Michael has said that he wants to be able to help people forget their problems, when in fact, he helped me face mine head on. I have since made it my goal to sing with him one day, and I know that if I continue to work hard, it will happen. Over the course of the month away from home, I made changes to my life. I have since moved to Sacramento on a job transfer (a blessing from God), and am persuing my vocal career after work.

I am so grateful to Michael for bringing this great music back to life, grateful to those who helped him achieve his success so that he could touch our lives the way he has, and grateful that he was able to see the people and spirit of New Orleans before Katrina. I hope that Michael will go back and perform there again; we will need him there to bring back the music. In the meantime, I am hoping to get great seats to the Sacramento show so I can relive that magical time before my life changed forever. Thank you, Michael. For everything. See you in Sacramento!

Hey Jennifer,

I'm also from Louisiana but from Kenner and I know how you feel I was so scared and I did the same I heard Michael's music a lot and When Home would come on I would see my Dad he would get teary eyed and everyone would get silent. And just think about what would happen next. I went to Flordia.I totally agree he does take everyone to other places to forget their problems and I think thats what atracts me to his music. I'm going to go to his San Antonio Concert in March. I can't wait it will be my first concert.

Hey Jennifer,

I'm also from Louisiana but from Kenner and I know how you feel I was so scared and I did the same I heard Michael's music a lot and When Home would come on I would see my Dad he would get teary eyed and everyone would get silent. And just think about what would happen next. I went to Flordia.I totally agree he does take everyone to other places to forget their problems and I think thats what atracts me to his music. I'm going to go to his San Antonio Concert in March. I can't wait it will be my first concert.

Jennifer,

That was possibly the most touching story I think I've ever read. Thank you for sharing, and I hope your dream comes true.

Brianna icon_smile.gif

Hello FoxyOperaSinger......you just made me cry. I hope everyone is OK in your family - even if you are not 'Home'.

Hello FoxyOperaSinger......you just made me cry. I hope everyone is OK in your family - even if you are not 'Home'.

What a touching story!!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif thanks for sharing!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Hello Jennifer!!!

Welcome on MB board, have a great time here with us and i hope to see you soon around with your posts!!!!!!

CIAO!!!!

What a touching story!!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif thanks for sharing!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Hello Jennifer!!!

Welcome on MB board, have a great time here with us and i hope to see you soon around with your posts!!!!!!

CIAO!!!!

That story brought me to tears..

I was due to go to New orleans on holiday on the 29th August but it stopped due to Katrina.

When i saw what you guys were going through it made me apprechiate all that i have around me.

I hope that all of your family are ok. Michael does seem to have a way of making things seem better when the going is getting tough!!

Just remember keep going for your dreams cause we'll be in the front row when you get to sing with Michael.

Have a good day

Lisa-Marie

First I wasn't exspecting the tears on my cheeks right now!

Secondly, how brave of you!

My heart goes out to you truely. I understand how Michael can help us face things head on, but your situation is amazing, simply amazing. Twenty three and are ahead of life, with the maturity of the situation! I know some people who didn't take charge and had false hope and are much older than you. I am so proud of you. I hope Michael reads your post and finds out exactly how his music moves people, more over how it effected your situation. I hope you do get those wonderful seats. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Wow, very moving story. I had no idea what I was about to read from the title. I wish you and your family love and goodness and continued prayers. Welcome to Michael's circle of friends, Jennifer. And good luck in Sacramento.

Julie

Wow, very moving story. I had no idea what I was about to read from the title. I wish you and your family love and goodness and continued prayers. Welcome to Michael's circle of friends, Jennifer. And good luck in Sacramento.

Julie

wow..what a story. hey..welcome to cali btw, im not in the nor cal sec but still welcome welcome! im happy to hear how michael has helped you, he is an amazing man and from what i can tell you are amazing too. you go follow your dreams as a singer! i can feel the strenght and will coming off of you. you can do anything ^_^ and if your ever in a bind...the buble's are here to offer what we can. awe..i know its digital but i feel compelled to give you this [hug!!] take care babe ^_~

wow..what a story. hey..welcome to cali btw, im not in the nor cal sec but still welcome welcome! im happy to hear how michael has helped you, he is an amazing man and from what i can tell you are amazing too. you go follow your dreams as a singer! i can feel the strenght and will coming off of you. you can do anything ^_^ and if your ever in a bind...the buble's are here to offer what we can. awe..i know its digital but i feel compelled to give you this [hug!!] take care babe ^_~

Thank you all for your warm replies, good wishes, and hugs! In fact, I posted this in another thread and Michael's mom replied saying she printed my story out to read to her family icon_smile.gif I can feel the love from everyone and it is heartwarming. Hope to get to know all of you better!

Jennifer

"Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?"

Jennifer, I was so very touched by your story!!! Thank you very much for posting it! I often think about all you folks and hope and pray that things are going well now! Your strength in the situation was so very inspiring to read. I hope all is good with your family now. And we wish you very best in the future, and we hope all your dreams come true.

We agree completely with you about Michael!!!! We'd love to hear some day that you could sing with him.

Take care!

Jo

Hi Jennifer,

I read your post on the other thread. I can't even imagine going through such a traumatizing event such as Katrina. Your Mom, Grandma and the rest of your family are doing well. I love the Sacramento area. What a nice place to relocate to. Keep us up to date on your singing career. Are you strictly an opera singer?

Thanks for sharing your story

Hi Jennifer, read your incredible story and my heart and prayers are with you and your family. Keep up that fighting spirit!!!, go for your dreams...

Hi Anne!

Thanks for your well wishes! Actually, I was trained in college to have the techniques to sing Opera but what I love to sing is musical theater. I am more interested in that than pursuing an opera career. I do not have one of those huge operatic voices; mine is more light and lyrical. Perfect for singing with Michael icon_wink.gif Thanks for asking icon_smile.gif Sacramento has treated me wonderfully so far, and I love it!

Boricua,

Thank you for the reply! I read your post on the other thread and can completely relate to your feelings. I may have to try listening to "Feeling Good" as soon as I wake up...it's way too early to feel good, but I know that song would help a lot!

Jennifer

"Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?"

Hi Jennifer!!!

Wishing you the best in your valiant pursuit of dreams...

I've been to a few musical acts and always enjoy them!!! When you'll do your first show, I'll do my darnest to be there and cheer you on!!!

Bonne chance!!!

Johanne (the one with too many names...)