Photo

"Love what is true and the world will come to you." - My Michael Bublé experience

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea91483

Andrea91483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

Luckily for me, my husband is not the type to forget his wife's birthday. In fact, he always starts asking me for ideas well in advance. If I have something specific in mind, I'll mention it. But sometimes, I simply don't know. While I certainly appreciate that he's thinking about me, my birthday is nearly a month away. "There has to be something you want," he tells me. Josh and I are in El Paso. We drove out from Albuquerque two days ago to attend the Michael Bublé concert. It's the day of the show and I have to admit, my mind is a little preoccupied. I know he worries about getting me something I'll like, and it is unsettling living paycheck to paycheck and not knowing exactly what our finances will be in the near future. I am happy just to be here, but Josh insists that the concert is not considered a birthday present. He's a sweet man, and his intentions are good. Still, I wish he'd quit asking.
"I want to meet Michael Bublé," I say with a grin. I am kidding, of course. Well, kidding in the sense that I don't actually expect for it to happen. Not that I wouldn't want to meet my favorite singer. Who wouldn't?
"Something realistic," Josh says. Maybe he can see it in my face that even though I'm not serious, it would mean the world to me. I don't say anything else and he doesn't ask me again.

We've finished eating lunch near the Don Haskins Center where the concert will be held tonight. Josh swings the car past a fenced off area housing several large trucks and a couple of buses. There are three men walking down the street. They look familiar. Indeed, they are all members of Michael Bublé's band - Jumaane Smith, Alan Chang, and Jacob Rodriguez. It's exciting to know that in a few short hours, I will be seeing them in action! Bublé is an amazing singer, no doubt. But the musicians who accompany him on stage are all extremely talented in their own right, and the concerts just wouldn't be the same without their fine skills.

"That sounds good," says Josh, spotting a Starbucks. I don't like coffee, so the only time you'll find me at Starbucks is when I'm with my husband. Nevertheless, I am thrilled to see that Jumaane, Alan, and Jacob are inside. I am able to overcome my shyness and say hello, and I even work up the nerve to ask to take a photo with them. Jumaane politely declines but offers to take my picture with the other two. He tells us to say "Pop Jazz" on three, which makes me laugh. Josh is still sitting at the table sipping his coffee, probably wondering when his wife became quite so bold.

It's about an hour until showtime. Inside the venue, I hand the usher our tickets and we are directed down toward the very bottom. Another usher checks the tickets again before allowing us access to the floor. We pass in front of the stage, back seven rows and settle into our seats. In my purse, I'm carrying a photograph I took of Bublé the first time I saw him in concert. Our seats are close enough that I stand a chance of making it to the front at the end of the show and an even smaller chance that I can get Michael to sign my photo. It's a shot in the dark and probably won't work, but maybe I'll get lucky.

The lights dim and Naturally 7 takes the stage. This a cappella group never ceases to amaze me. I never would have believed that the human voice alone could sound like this unless I had seen it for myself. Many seats are still empty. It baffles me that people can pay good money for tickets and then miss part of the show, but I intend to enjoy every moment.

After such an energetic first performance, it's impossible not to be restless during intermission. Even so, I don't want to leave my seat. I can hear the horns warming up backstage. The lights dim again and the crowd erupts. A silhouette appears as the band gains momentum. Now the curtain lifts, and Michael Bublé's voice resonates. I am captivated.

Michael is leaving the stage for the first time. The crowd is on their feet, and I take this opportunity to sneak out of the row and head for the front. I wonder how far I'll get before security tells me to go back. No one stops me. Michael comes back for his encore and I am as close to the stage as physically possible. There is a barrier extending several feet in front of it. It looks like it will be near impossible to obtain an autograph this way. Still hopeful and clutching the photo, I extend my arm out as far as it will reach. I realize my efforts are in vain and stop trying, but I don't return to my seat.

As much as I don't want this night to end, the concert is over. Josh and I have met up with some friends of ours, and we leave together. Outside, we hear a commotion. Could it be? Off in the distance, Michael himself is walking by. We run up a flight of stairs in that direction. We're not even halfway there and he is gone, but we go over anyway. Maybe if we wait a little while, we'll catch another glimpse of him. We have no such luck, but even so, I feel wonderful. We start to head back.

We're about to cross the street when suddenly, there is another commotion at the other end of the crosswalk. A crowd is quickly forming. A security guard standing behind the fence says, "If you hurry, you can catch him." It takes me a moment to grasp what he's saying, but I make it to the other side. Michael Bublé is only a few feet from me and is heading this way. I fumble to get my camera ready and thrust it at Josh.
"See if you can get a picture!" I beg him while trying to open my purse and retrieve my photo. Michael has approached where I am standing. I don't recall even asking him to take a picture with me, but he puts his arm around me and looks at the camera. Anxiously, I wait for the flash to go off. For several seconds, there is nothing. Then, finally. Michael starts to move on to the next eager fan. Josh is looking at the camera screen and judging by the expression on his face, the picture didn't turn out. I turn back around and manage to ask, "Michael, would you please sign this for me?", but he has already walked past me. It looks like I've missed the boat.

But now Michael steps back a little. He takes my photo in one hand and and my silver pen in the other. With a few quick strokes, he returns them to me before moving on. I wish a simple "thank you" was enough, but I don't have an opportunity to say much else. There are others waiting.

Beaming, I turn to my husband, who is still looking at the camera.
"Did you get it?", I ask. A pointless question, since the answer will be no.
"Well," says Josh, "his head's turned. If the stupid camera would have gone off two seconds earlier, it would have been perfect!" I look at the picture and in fact, it is perfect. A photograph is a way of capturing a special memory, and Josh has done just that.

I couldn't have asked for a better gift.

~*~*Andrea*~*~

April 29, 2008 ~ Albuquerque, NM
August 28, 2010 ~ Las Vegas, NV
August 16, 2011 ~ El Paso, TX

6d120f88-dbfb-4875-aea7-b0f1449ebb7c.jpg     meandbuble2-2.jpg

#2 Monica_BubleFan

Monica_BubleFan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Music (Phil Collins, Michael Buble, Sting, Robbie Williams), playing the guitar, learning languages, films (Bridget Jones's Diary", "The King's Speech", "Pulp Fiction" etc.)

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Your story is so great, thank you for sharing it! You were very lucky! :)

xxx

P.S. I wonder how it feels like to meet your idol face to face, I'm sure I would be speechless!
I was at Sting's concert in June, but I hadn't that chance to meet him after the show. What a pity!

#3 akiathomsan

akiathomsan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

Congratulation !!!
You had fulfill your dream but i haven't till,While reading Your detail post,I am imagine my self in front of Michael and he asked from me "Can You Sing With Me" lolz..... ,I hope one day in future i will also fulfill my this dream like you.

#4 nera323

nera323

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

its a wonderful expierence and i wish i make on my next concert, that to....
i get michaels towel in munich and he smiled down the stage, when i see the fight...

that was wonderful..

you are a lucky girl
Posted Image

Posted Image

MICHAEL I HOPE I SEE YOU IN THE NEXT YEAR LIVE

<a href="http://board.michael...howtopic=17537" target="_blank">
Posted Image</a>

IAM A NERD IN MY HEART

NERD NUMBER NINE IS HERE

#5 WhiT

WhiT

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,913 posts
  • Interests:music, singing, family, friends, movies, TV, going out, dancing, computers, webdesign, food, travelling, teaching, drawing

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Andrea! Thanks for sharing your story and great build up too. I was reading it in total suspense, what will happen next?!??! LOL. Glad you got to meet him! :)
XO,
Whitney

Posted Image Posted Image