Photo

Do you think it is right to have concert tickets auctioned?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 schneider

schneider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

I was hugely disappointed when I went to purchase tickets to the Calgary show in August this morning. It seams that TicketMaster and LiveNation, or is it Michael, are no longer satisfied with making the $140/seat on a concert. They are now going to a auction format so you don't even know if you will get a ticket and have to spend extra time, and more money, trying to get to the show. Do think it is fair that the tickets get auctioned off for more money?

#2 vegi

vegi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

I was hugely disappointed when I went to purchase tickets to the Calgary show in August this morning. It seams that TicketMaster and LiveNation, or is it Michael, are no longer satisfied with making the $140/seat on a concert. They are now going to a auction format so you don't even know if you will get a ticket and have to spend extra time, and more money, trying to get to the show. Do think it is fair that the tickets get auctioned off for more money?

Absolutely. Before auctions, the best seats were often purchased and then resold by brokers, etc for very high dollar amounts and the artist never got a cent of that extra money. That was a system totally unfair to the artist. There are only a few premium seats; there is way more demand to be up front than supply. So people are willing to pay more. If people are willing to pay the higher price, the higher price is actually the true market value. Why shouldn't the artist get a share of that money instead of just the ticket broker? There still is a range of prices, but the auctions price the best seats at closer to market value. It's like anything else that is rare. I'd like to buy diamonds for the price of rhinestones, but it's not going to happen. I can't afford to go to everything I'd like, but that's not the responsibility of the artist. I think they are definitely entitled to be compensated fairly for their work.

#3 Boricua

Boricua

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

My answer to this is yes and no.

I believe that people should be entitled to earn money from their work, whatever it may be. So am against
scalpers and greed. If everyone in the entertainment business gets their fair share from these auctions am not against that but am not willing to partake in this bidding war.

My no...No to any form or matter of enabling sky high ticket prices. I know it´s a case of demand but I don´t go with the rules of "offer vs demand" (hope this is the way you say it in English), so it´s a matter of individual choices. My choice is I can really, really like an entertainer and really, really want to go to a concert but if I find that the money they are asking is outrages I just don´t go. I stay at home, make myself a nice drink, put on a cd and imagine am at the concert.
I work hard for my money, so am not throwing it away. They may hop to the bank with a smile on their faces but that´s not my case...more dread than smile, LOL!

Must say that to my knowledge Michaels tickets have stayed in a reasonable price range and I say to him and his staff...Good
work!

Posted Image

#4 vt_rita

vt_rita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

THis happened when my husband got presale tickets. He was mad because the first few rows on the floor were being auctioned. We got 5th row center section aisle seats at DCU Center in Worcester Mass which are great but his attitude is it is greed. And if we decided not to go, (which will NEVER happen) we can't sell our tickets because to get in you have to have id that you are the person who bought them. I have seen so many disappointed folks who can't afford to get tickets. I am glad I get to go in March and then again to Montreal in August. (I live in Vermont and actually Montreal is closer than Worcester) Good luck to all who are still trying to get tickets.