Photo

Review: Bublé pleases fans in Anaheim

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby D

Bobby D

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

Just found this review of Michael's final 2008 US show in Anaheim...Review: Bublé pleases fans in Anaheim
Posted Image

#2 WhiT

WhiT

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,913 posts
  • Interests:music, singing, family, friends, movies, TV, going out, dancing, computers, webdesign, food, travelling, teaching, drawing

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the article Uncle B.

Glad Michael has some time off to recover now!

XO,
Whitney

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 vegi

vegi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:33 AM

I'm rather disappointed in this review. The reviewer seemed to be reviewing the concert based on what they expected to see. Michael's concerts aren't a straight recital but a mix of music, comedy... it's really a show. If the reviewer had done their homework, they'd know that. The audience clearly enjoyed the show much more than the reviewer as Michael got a great response. There were many board members at this gig, including myself. I was fortunate to speak with Michael earlier in the day and I can confirm that Michael was indeed ill; so ill that he had wanted to cancel the shows in Santa Barbara but didn't. I was very concerned with how he sounded before the show so I can't express how very impressed I am with the show this man put on. He could've cancelled the show and disappointed a lot of people but he didn't. He put on a great show and sang and danced his heart out. Yes, there was some coughing at the beginning and yet not only did he get through the evening, he didn't cut back on anything. Not the songs, not the jokes... and he even managed all that dancing and running around while under the weather! He didn't shortchange anyone even though it would have been quite understandable if he had. I'm glad there's a break from the road and I hope he takes the time he needs to recuperate. I couldn't be more impressed with Michael right now.

#4 Daryl D

Daryl D

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • Interests:Family, Friends, Music, Gardening, Cooking, Martinis and good Wine

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:18 AM

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby.... You got me reading this and I had to respond. The following is what I sent the "reviewer"....
Dear Mr. Paul,

I'd like to respond to some of your observations of last nights concert and closing of the American tour.

Erratic performance. I find that quite interesting. First, I want to advise you that Mr. Bublé has been battling illness on and off for weeks and did not cancel one concert, which most performers today would have done in a New York minute. I see these postings on the feed at the gym each morning, as I work out. This performer canceled this many concerts... that one canceled 2 weeks, etc. Gives me pause for thought about their commitment to touring and "entertaining".

But that aside. We who follow Mr. Bublé's career are well aware of his battling the road and it's challenges with health. Yet, to my knowledge, he has only had to cancel one concert in the last 3 years and that was due to an outside venue in ABQ and lightening storms. I might add that the make up on that date, truly made a few of my days.

This is how I saw last night and I might add the night before in Santa Barbara, where the outside bowl was cold and damp and really bad for the vocal chords and respiratory system in general. He probably shouldn't have done those shows, but he did. I attended Friday night and Michael and the band burned up the stage.

Saturday night, closing of the U.S. tour. Started with Michael coming on stage looking a bit feverish. Coughed a bit, cleared his throat a bit, drank water... a few times. Warmed up his instrument and then let loose.

My take on last night was that it may have been the best Bublé concert I've ever attended. Once warmed up (although I know he must have felt like ????) his instrument kicked into gear and he put on a show that literally lit up the Honda Center. He fed off the audience and visa verse. A true experience in what happens when the two connect.

This man has such amazing control over his voice that although we who have been to many concerts might have notices a raspiness of a note here or there.... a tapering off, where he would have carried the note much further... we also saw a man who opened his voice up and let it fly.... and he soured. Maybe it was closing night in the U.S. Maybe it was the beginning of the end of this "set".... But, it was so full of everything an experience of "entertainment" should be, I can't imagine there being more. This is the mark of a true professional. Today, they are few and very far between.

Yes Michael, we all want to go to Australia with You....
D

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Leese

Leese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Interests:fav MB album:
    IT'S TIME

PERFORMING IN MUSICALS, SINGING a’CAPELLA,
    the MIKEY B AND YET STILL MORE MUSIC!!!

http://twitter.com/leese_sd
    http://leesesd.spaces.live.com
    http://www.youtube.com/leesesd http://www.myspace.com/leese_sd

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:12 AM

I agree that poor Michael was not always at his usual 150%
last night in Anaheim...

I really felt for him at times as it was apparent he was straining,
but the heart and soul that he ALWAYS puts into all of his
performances was there throughout. And even at the point
in this tour where most people would not have been able to
go on - he did. And he gave at least 100% of what any
other performer out there gives today, even at their very best.

So though he was ailing and definitely a little worn from
playing 75 dates (geez!!!), he was better than ANY current
singers performing anywhere - and we will always love him
for it! That is what makes him a true performer and an
extremely talented entertainer - going on in the face of
adversity, especially to his own health.

I can tell you that if you asked any of his true fans if they
would have wanted, or even expected, him to perform under
the circumstances he obviously did last night - they would
say NO, as he gives so much of himself - constantly. I know
of no other performer that does that... NONE.

WE LOVE YOU MICHAEL!
(and if I can find a way to Australia, I'll be there for you!)

#6 vegi

vegi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:34 AM

Just to reinforce how different Michael is from other artists: I got to chatting with some personnel at the Honda Center, and they talked about how Avril Lavigne had cancelled with the audience already in their seats! It was a real nightmare for them.

#7 cassandralicious

cassandralicious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:reading,writing, swimming, tennis, spa treatments, Michael, gardening, MB, traveling, walking, styling, Mr buble, singing, dancing and did I say Michael Buble?, ....., enough for now, Thank you....., Tootles

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:59 AM

Hi everyone, I replied to mr paul as well. Michael was my first concert ever!, I first saw him at the greek theatre in august of 2007, he came off the stage to say hello to me, and I was completely terrified....., but as soon as I hugged him I knew he was special. Michael is sincere with his fans, I feel his vulnerbility. No matter what the critics say....... your fans appreciate your talent, and I will support you when-ever I can. I would love to go to australia, but I have a mortgage to pay!!(smile)..., but when you come back to california, I will be there screaming your name...., MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!. Take good care, forever your fan, Cassandra

#8 Josephine

Josephine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

VEGI, thank you for letting us know about Santa Barbara and Anaheim
shows! I hope Michael knows we're all thinking of him and hoping he'll
be feeling great very soon!!! He is so generous for doing shows when
he's very ill. We know he does it because he doesn't want to let
anyone down. We hope he knows how VERY much he is appreciated!
We hope, too, that he won't have to suffer being ill for shows in the
future! We just hope and pray that somehow he can prevent being
ill.

Hopefully, he can relax now and get well....and know we're all wishing
the very best for him!

DARYL, we appreciate your sharing your response to the reviewer from
Anaheim. So very good!

LEESE, thanks, too, for your post about the show and what Michael goes
through by continuing when ill. It makes us want to hug him. He's so
very special!

Take care all,
Jo

#9 swooninggrany

swooninggrany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

I WAS AT THE HONDA AND THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM. OH THERE WERE FEW NOTES THAT WERE NOT UP TO" BUBLE" STANDARDS BUT EVEN THOSE WERE BETTER THAN SOME ARTIST AT THIER BEST, MICHAEL
DID WHAT COMES NATURAL TO HIM AND OTHER ARTIST HAVE TO WORK AT THAT IS, IMMEDATE CONNECTION WITH THE AUDIENCE.OVER 12,000 PEOPLE AT THE HONDA. HE DIDN'T ALLOW THE VASTNESS OF THE BUILDING TO TKAE CONTROL, HE TOOK CONTROL OVER THE VASTNESS OF THE BUILDING. HE GAVE HIS AUDIENCE EXACTLY WHAT WE CAME FOR , THAT WAS TO SEE GREATNESS AND HE DELIVERED.

HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU.
Posted Image #18 Bubalicious Cafe

"My Hero of Song"

#10 vegi

vegi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

[quote name='swooninggrany' post='402098' date='May 12 2008, 12:18 PM']I WAS AT THE HONDA AND THOUGHT IT WAS THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM. OH THERE WERE FEW NOTES THAT WERE NOT UP TO" BUBLE" STANDARDS BUT EVEN THOSE WERE BETTER THAN SOME ARTIST AT THIER BEST, MICHAEL
DID WHAT COMES NATURAL TO HIM AND OTHER ARTIST HAVE TO WORK AT THAT IS, IMMEDATE CONNECTION WITH THE AUDIENCE.OVER 12,000 PEOPLE AT THE HONDA. HE DIDN'T ALLOW THE VASTNESS OF THE BUILDING TO TKAE CONTROL, HE TOOK CONTROL OVER THE VASTNESS OF THE BUILDING. HE GAVE HIS AUDIENCE EXACTLY WHAT WE CAME FOR , THAT WAS TO SEE GREATNESS AND HE DELIVERED.

HUGE HUGS, LORETTA SMILING AT YOU.[/quote]

I heard after the fact that you were there. Sorry we didn't get to meet up so I could give you a big ole hug!!!!

#11 Pati Colorado

Pati Colorado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:OCCUPATION: MICHAEL BUBLE FAN!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

wow........ I knew he wasn't well these last couple of shows.......but I had not known...
you could never tell .........he gave such an fantastic, jumping show...not once did it seemed slow or boring. The show was filled with excitement.....

Had Michael canceled, I would NOT had been upset at all...his health is FIRST!!!....

thanks vegi for your imput......

Love you Michael...........
pati

Posted Image......please visit your nearest animal shelter..spread awareness- adopt !!..don't buy.........
Michael - you know how I much I adore you- but please do not support CHINA by playing there anymore....the animal cruelty is the worst ever seen- even Mr Paul Cartney has stated - he will not perform or support them!!...please read:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/nov/29/animalwelfare.china

#12 vegi

vegi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

wow........ I knew he wasn't well these last couple of shows.......but I had not known...
you could never tell .........he gave such an fantastic, jumping show...not once did it seemed slow or boring. The show was filled with excitement.....

Had Michael canceled, I would NOT had been upset at all...his health is FIRST!!!....

thanks vegi for your imput......

Love you Michael...........
pati

I really didn't notice it in Santa Barbara but it was very noticeable before the Anaheim show. Poor baby, he sounded sooo sick and was the one that brought it up. So he must've been feeling really crappy. I did notice it at the beginning of the Anaheim show, but maybe that's cos his feeling bad was still fresh in my memory and was still weighing on my mind. That he could put on those shows and perform at full speed is amazing. I was surrounded by newbies and they all enjoyed their first show. I agree with you; I'd be fine if he cancelled for health reasons. I'd pick seeing him healthy over seeing a show anytime.

#13 Laguna

Laguna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

I've been worrying about Michael, reading lately about his illness.....especially as he soldiers on no matter how bad he feels. I hope people around him make sure he's able to have a proper rest for a while to recover. Two weeks really isn't very long when you've been that sick....and there's a long plane trip and when he gets here it'll be winter.

Daryl, your letter was very good.

Michael look after yourself. We wish you a speedy recovery. As everyone says, your health is the most important thing.
MB You Look Wonderful Tonight
Posted Image--Posted Image--Posted ImageBrisbane 2008
Detroit 2006: photo by Silverbells