Photo

Question about Michael...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 zeze

zeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

I was reading the biography of Michael on Wikipedia... since Wikipedia is not the most reliable source, I was just wondering... It says that Michael is of mostly Italian and some Croatian heritage. I know about Italian part but is Croatian true? I'm just curious because I am from Croatia...

#2 WhiT

WhiT

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,913 posts
  • Interests:music, singing, family, friends, movies, TV, going out, dancing, computers, webdesign, food, travelling, teaching, drawing

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

I was reading the biography of Michael on Wikipedia... since Wikipedia is not the most reliable source, I was just wondering... It says that Michael is of mostly Italian and some Croatian heritage. I know about Italian part but is Croatian true? I'm just curious because I am from Croatia...

Hi Zeze,

I have never ever heard anything about Michael having Croatian roots. :blink:
Italian and Canadian, yes, but the Croatian thing I'm really not so sure about! :unsure:

XO,
Whitney

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 cinnamon

cinnamon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

A silly question :mellow: How is Michael's surname pronounced correctly?

#4 WhiT

WhiT

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,913 posts
  • Interests:music, singing, family, friends, movies, TV, going out, dancing, computers, webdesign, food, travelling, teaching, drawing

Posted 07 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

I believe it's Boo-blay. :)

If you click here, and watch some of the commercials, you can hear it for yourself :)

XO,
Whitney

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Camille

Camille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:I'm classic:my friends, family ,the music...MICHAEL BUBLé,all music's genre, One tree hill...=D

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

Me I not say bou-blé but ... I don't know how to say in English phonetic...I say "bu" like "bu"ble but it's, Ithink a bad accent ...
"You know how I feel"
"When my life is over, we remember when we were together,we were alone and I was singing my song for you"

Posted Image

02/11/07<3<3<3
Bublé Nerd #16 "Nerd is sexy!"

MB

#6 ximenabuble

ximenabuble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Michael, Michael & Michael :D

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

Hi!!! I think the same as Whit, i never have heard that Michael has croatian roots and for the second question, Bublé it pronounced just like that, in Mexico is easier for us to say it cause we pronounce usually the accents, but in english i think it's pronounced Boo-blay. :lol:
XoXo!! Xime n_n
@XimenaBuble
@michaelbublemx

Michael Bublé México: http://michaelbuble-mx.blogspot.com
Member #52 of "Bublé's Nerds"
Posted Image

#7 db

db

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:58 AM

Ditto to Whit's response, I too have never ever, heard of Michael being Croatian~~

Bungalow B ~ ATM #39
#20 @ Bubalicious Cafe
Michael's Ladies
diane.gif
"I LOVE BEIN' HERE WITH YOU"

"When You Smile At Me You Know Exactly What You Do
!"
MB_EVERYTHINGr3.jpg

michaelb35.jpg

#8 cinnamon

cinnamon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:51 AM

I believe it's Boo-blay. :)

If you click here, and watch some of the commercials, you can hear it for yourself :)

WhiT, thank you so much for this link!!! :rolleyes:

#9 babs

babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Michael, Rob Pattinson, travel, books, fanfiction, tech stuff...

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

Hi Zeze I too read somewhere about his Croatian origins. If my memory serves me correctly, it only referred to his lastname, since it's not a typical Italian lastname. Part of his family is from the north east part of Italy so maybe his lastname has Slav influences. That's all I know :)
Posted Image
Barbara
#14 of Bublé's Nerds
*Nerd is sexy* Bublé's Italian Strawberry Nerd

ATM #42

Posted Image

www.myspace.com/BarbaraB2
Michael's charity advocation for BC Children's Hospital

#10 greenthing

greenthing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:58 AM

this is how he told people to say it, it was from his interview with Rove McManus mid last year.

"BOOB-lay"

YEAH.
hahaha :lol:

#11 zeze

zeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

If you look at Wikipedia now, someone even wrote that his grandparents are Mihovil and Lucija Buble and are from Trogir. Who knows... Wikipedia lies a lot so, maybe someone is making this up. Anyway... thats for the replies, peple!

#12 Vancouver-Croat

Vancouver-Croat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:30 AM

Hi Zeze,

Italian and Canadian, yes, but the Croatian thing I'm really not so sure about! :unsure:

Michael's surname Buble (and his father's side) is of Croatian origin, not Italian. The other half of his family (his mother's side) is Italian. I know this to be fact since my mother went to school with his great aunt (Marie Buble) who was Croatian.

The name "Buble" is actually pronounced Boo-BLeh not Boo-BLay. When English readers saw the foreign name Buble they would pronounce it as "Bubble" in English back then. So in order to preserve its original phonetic sound they began placing the accent mark above the "e" so English speakers could pronounce it as accurately as possible. That's why it sounds french, placing the french "egu" above the "e" made it the closest to to the original Croatian pronunciation that English speakers could pronounce (especially back then).

My grandfather also fished with Michael's great grandfather back in the day (here in Vancouver) and he was Croatian, not Italian. They all referred to him affectionately back then as "Stari Buble" which means "Old Man Buble" in Croatian. I cannot deny that the other half of his family (his mother's side) is of Italian heritage.

However, his surname is of Croatian origin, as is his heritage (whether he identifies with it or not). If you do a google search of the surname Buble along with Dalmatia or Croatia, you will see for yourself. I don't know

Whether Michael knows or not but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know. Many Croatians back then, and some even now, deny that they are Croatian or half

Croatian. If he does know and simply denies it, it would be disappointing.

#13 vegi

vegi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

thread on this topic with info from Michael's mother

quote from Michael

From 2004: While working on the debut album, executives at Warner Music instructed him to change his name. Bublé was too difficult to pronounce. (Generations ago in Italy, the name was spelled Bubli, he explains. When his great-grandparents immigrated to Vancouver, they changed it to Bublé.) "I was going to change it to Santaga, my grandfather's surname," Bublé says.
2004 interview

#14 irene hope

irene hope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Vegi.....................That was quite an education...............and really very interesting................I knew you'd be the one that would
put our friend.............. who was asking ..............on the straight and narrow path to get all the correct information............However ......it
makes little difference to me.............I could care less which dot on the map now claims a Starlet.........He could be from Dogpatch,
....Gooberstown.........kicking up a storm from the land of Hill Billies..?.....................He is a shot in the arm to me.........and a little late in
coming..........Come to think of it............I'm so glad he finally made it............I could have missed him?....................smile with me.........Gram...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I Love Michael

#15 Boricua

Boricua

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

What matters to me the most...that he is HUMAN!, or is he?

Know many who think he is beyond human, LOL!

Posted Image

#16 Vancouver-Croat

Vancouver-Croat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

thread on this topic with info from Michael's mother

quote from Michael

From 2004: While working on the debut album, executives at Warner Music instructed him to change his name. Bublé was too difficult to pronounce. (Generations ago in Italy, the name was spelled Bubli, he explains. When his great-grandparents immigrated to Vancouver, they changed it to Bublé.) "I was going to change it to Santaga, my grandfather's surname," Bublé says.
2004 interview

Michael's mother stated in the forum that the Buble name comes from Istria. Well, Istria has always been Croatian (although it was temporarily ceded to Italy from 1918-1945 (the population however was still nominally Croatian); Just like the name Buble. In her statement she also does not deny or refute the claim that Michael's heritage is half Croatian; something she easily could have done. Furthermore, when she stated that his great grandparents are from Istria she said,
"that's all I can say at this time". It sounds as if she was being somewhat evasive in her answer.

It's true, his great grandparents did begin to place the accent mark above the Buble name after coming to Canada. There's no logical explanation or reason for it if they were Italian. Like I said, my mother went to school with his great aunt (the daughter of Michael's great grandfather) who admitted she was Croatian. Also, my grandfather knew his great grandfather, spoke to him in his native Croatian tongue. My mother also remembers Michael's great grandfather. They were not Italian. My explanation concerning the adding of the french "egu" above the "e" to his last name also makes more logical sense as well when tying it into his Croatian heritage. Like I stated before, Michael might not even know, I don't think he does.

Fact: Buble is a Croatian Surname from the Coastal Region of Croatia. Fact: Michael's family comes from the coastal region of Croatia . If my grandfather and mother never knew his former relatives I would not state this claim.

If you watch this video on Michael (aired on the news show "60 minutes" you will even see a picture of Michael on the boat that he used to fish on with his dad. You can plainly see at the bottom of the boat in the photo it says "Dalmacia" which means "Dalmatia" (the coastal region of Croatia) where the Buble name comes from.

Here's the link to the video: http://www.cbsnews.c...croller;housing

Go to time index 6:10 and you will see the photo

#17 alehandro

alehandro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hey guys! Can you give me any video or something where Michael Buble says how to pronounce his last name right? I really need it! Couse I have this kind of an argument with some people about it. I know that it's BOOB-LAY, and in our country nobody knows how to say it correctly.
There was suppoused to be an interview on ROVE with Michail about it, but this video was removed. Please.. help me!)) Thanks!

#18 Croato

Croato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

When i saw his face for the first time i said this guy is from costal Croatia because he looks like so many people living arround me.Then i was courious what is his name and when i saw Buble it was clear for me.Maybe he don´t realise that or he is ashamed of his Croatian roots and genes that he has.He looks Croatian,not Italian nor French.Yes it sounds more nice if you are Italian or French but Buble is a surname from Trogir and i think it comes from word "bublica" which is some kind of rolls so surname Buble would be given to someone who is fat.

http://imehrvatsko.n...e/prezime-buble

#19 Vancouver-Croat

Vancouver-Croat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Hi Zeze,

Michael is in fact half Croatian (on his father's side) but they've been in Canada for many decades that his family heritage may have been lost. The name Buble is Croatian, not Italian. My mother met Michael's great grandfather when she was little (Michael's great grandfather fished with my grandfather; they used to refer to Michael's great grandfather as "Stari Buble" which means "Old Man Buble" in Croatian). My mother (Doreen) also went to school with Michael's great aunt Marie. They were never Italian, they were Croatian. The boat that Michael fished on with his father Louis was also called "Dalmacia" which means Dalmatia (coastal region of Croatia). I saw the photo last night on the show "60 minutes". Croatians made up most of the fishing community in Vancouver so it's not a big surprise. He may not know or identify with his Croatian heritage but it is a part of who he is.

#20 Vancouver-Croat

Vancouver-Croat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

Hey guys! Can you give me any video or something where Michael Buble says how to pronounce his last name right? I really need it! Couse I have this kind of an argument with some people about it. I know that it's BOOB-LAY, and in our country nobody knows how to say it correctly.
There was suppoused to be an interview on ROVE with Michail about it, but this video was removed. Please.. help me!)) Thanks!

Even though they pronounce it as Boob-Lay in English today, it's original Croatian pronunciation is Boob-Leh (the Leh sounds just like when you pronounce the first two letters in "lettuce".